Recipe by breezermom
The batter can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for 3 weeks, so this can be done ahead of time. This also makes a great gift during the holiday season!
Top Review by Boomette
This recipe gives great muffins. They look great and they taste great. I reduced the sugar just a little bit. I made half the recipe and filled 12 muffins cup full. My son likes them. They are delicious. Thanks breezermom :) Made for Photo tag game
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in molasses. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Dissolve soda in buttermilk.
- Combine flour and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to bake. Batter can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 weeks.
- To bake, spoon batter into greased muffin pans, filling 2/3rd's full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.