Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I saw this on an episode of "Barefoot Contessa" and tried it for myself. It is the best. I do make variations on her recipe though.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1.5 (1 lb) jars Ragu sundried tomato and sweet basil pasta sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle (Barilla no-boil)
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 -4 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Add the Jar of Ragu Sundried Tomato & Sweet Basil Pasta Sauce Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one third of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.
This Lasagna is delicious! Great flavors- the goat cheese adds that extra flavor that takes the "ordinary" out of the usual lasagna.
We used Morning Star "sausage crumbles" instead as we are vegetarians and don't want animals to suffer just to satisfy our tastes...the Morning Star option was fantastic - this recipe is by far the best lasagna we have ever tried...fantastic!