Recipe by Ms. DMAC
I saw this on an episode of "Barefoot Contessa" and tried it for myself. It is the best. I do make variations on her recipe though.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1.5 (1 lb) jars Ragu sundried tomato and sweet basil pasta sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle (Barilla no-boil)
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 -4 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Add the Jar of Ragu Sundried Tomato & Sweet Basil Pasta Sauce Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one third of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.