Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from a recipe in Cooking For Two 2009 from America's Test Kitchen. If you're feeling ambitious, you can make your own ricotta (try Microwave Ricotta for a fast way); you will need about 1 1/2 quarts of milk to make the necessary ricotta. Do not use fat-free ricotta (or skim milk, if making your own).
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 0.59 ml table salt or 1.23 ml kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced finely
- 226.79 g meatloaf mix
- 29.58 ml heavy cream
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes, drained and 1/4 c juice reserved
- 59.14 ml tomato juice, drained from can as above (included for calorie count)
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 113.39 g whole milk ricotta cheese (about 1/2 cup) or 113.39 g part-skim ricotta cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 28.34 g parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh basil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 0.59 ml table salt or 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 0.59 ml ground black pepper
- 4 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 113.39 g whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 29.58 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add onion and 1/8 tsp table salt (or 1/4 tsp kosher salt). Cook until soft, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add meat and cook, breaking up with the edge of a spoon, until no longer pink, 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream, bring to a simmer and cook until dry, about 2 minutes. Add drained tomatoes, reserved juice, and tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook until flavors are blended, 3-5 minute Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, stir together ricotta, 1 oz (1/2 c) grated Parmesan, basil, egg, salt and pepper.
- Spread 1/2 c sauce in the bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan (try not to get large chunks of meat in this layer). Place 1 noodle in pan. Cover noodle with one-third of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 c mozzarella shreds, then another 1/2 c sauce.
- Repeat the process, starting with another noodle, twice more. Place the fourth noodle on top, cover with the last 1 c sauce and the remaining 1/4 c mozzarella. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 T Parmesan.
- Spray a piece of foil with non-stick spray and cover pan tightly. Place on a cookie sheet and bake until bubbling around edges, 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese begins to brown, another 10 minutes, or so. Let cool at room temperature 20 minutes before slicing and serving.