1 hr 5 mins
Adapted from a recipe in Cooking For Two 2009 from America's Test Kitchen. If you're feeling ambitious, you can make your own ricotta (try Microwave Ricotta for a fast way); you will need about 1 1/2 quarts of milk to make the necessary ricotta. Do not use fat-free ricotta (or skim milk, if making your own).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced finely
- 1/2 lb meatloaf mix
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and 1/4 c juice reserved
- 1/4 cup tomato juice, drained from can as above (included for calorie count)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 lb whole milk ricotta cheese (about 1/2 cup) or 1/4 lb part-skim ricotta cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1/4 lb whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add onion and 1/8 tsp table salt (or 1/4 tsp kosher salt). Cook until soft, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add meat and cook, breaking up with the edge of a spoon, until no longer pink, 2-3 minutes.
- 3Add cream, bring to a simmer and cook until dry, about 2 minutes. Add drained tomatoes, reserved juice, and tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook until flavors are blended, 3-5 minute Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4In a bowl, stir together ricotta, 1 oz (1/2 c) grated Parmesan, basil, egg, salt and pepper.
- 5Spread 1/2 c sauce in the bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan (try not to get large chunks of meat in this layer). Place 1 noodle in pan. Cover noodle with one-third of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 c mozzarella shreds, then another 1/2 c sauce.
- 6Repeat the process, starting with another noodle, twice more. Place the fourth noodle on top, cover with the last 1 c sauce and the remaining 1/4 c mozzarella. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 T Parmesan.
- 7Spray a piece of foil with non-stick spray and cover pan tightly. Place on a cookie sheet and bake until bubbling around edges, 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese begins to brown, another 10 minutes, or so. Let cool at room temperature 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lasagna for Two
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 588.1
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 204.2 mg
- Sodium 1722.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 34.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-boil lasagna noodles