Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a good substitute for a low calorie version of one of my favorite dishes!!
- 1 (44 ounce) spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (15 ounce) carton low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 cups spinach
- 1⁄4 cup lowfat parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 (14 ounce) cans plum tomatoes
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Cook spaghetti squash in microwave oven about 12 minutes, then cool for handling. Once cooled, discard seeds and use a fork to 'dig out' the squash.
- Cook turkey with garlic and onions. Set aside to cool.
- Rinse spinach and allow it to dry on paper towel.
- Crush tomatoes with your hands (this will make your base sauce).
- Pour some of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch glass dish. Then use a thin layer of spaghetti squash, followed by layer of ricotta, then a layer of turkey, layer of spinach, another layer of sauce and a layer of mozzarella. Repeat layers one more time.
- Add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese to the top and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Take of foil and let the top brown, another 5-10 minutes.