Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I finally got this recipe from my Mother after years of begging (she doesn't like to give away her secrets) beacuse I had to make dinner for the family while living at home. My Father says it's better than Mom's.
- 1⁄2 lb pork
- 1⁄2 lb beef
- 8 -10 hot Italian sausage, casings removed or 3 -4 tablespoons banana peppers, cut up
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (24 ounce) can tomatoes, & liquid
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons beef bouillon
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 -4 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 can mushroom, drained
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 lb cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- mozzarella cheese (as much as you like)
- 10 cooked lasagna noodles
- Fry meat until brown (if using sausage, fry in seperate skillet);drain and rinse under hot water to get rid of excess fat.
- Put back in skillet and add eggs,parsley,oregano, and 3 tbsp.
- parmesan cheese.
- Fry until eggs are cooked.
- In seperate pot add onion,garilc,tomatoes,parsley,ba¸Y peppers (if using),wine,beef boullion,tomato paste,brown sugar (1/tbsp. to start),salt,pepper,mushrooms, and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Add beef (sausage also if using).
- Bring to a boil,reduce heat, cover and simmer 3 to 4 hours.
- After about 1 hour taste sauce, you should be able to taste a hint of brown sugar.
- If not add 1 to 2 tbsp.
- Keep checking over simmering time until you can JUST taste sugar adding more if needed.
- When ready to layer add hot water to cottage cheese to make a little runnier (this will enable you to spread it more easily).
- Layer as follows: sauce, 5 noodles, mozza cheese, cottage cheese, sauce, noodles, mozza cheese, and sprinkle parmesan cheese over mozza if desired.
- Bake in 350* oven for approximately 45 to 60 miutes.
- or until cheese is golden.
best lasagna we have ever had was what everyone said tonight after I made this! Will be making this over and over, very tasty!!!!!!!!
Ok.....I am going to be honest......I don't like cheese (I know, I know, I've heard how crazy I am) so I didn't eat this, but everyone I have made this for has LOVED it! I used ricotta cheese just because it seems to be a bit more creamy. Definetly let the sauce simmer for the full time (maybe even longer) - it is fantastic sauce! Thank you Carmen. Its a keeper!
This was great! I had lost my mom's recipe which was my favorite, but now I have this one! I made the meat sauce up the day before and used no-boil lasagna noodles so preparation the day of was quick and easy - Great for company!