Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
My husband and his parents love tapioca. Every time they visit I make a batch. Large pearl tapioca can be hard to find in a grocery store (it's one of those time consuming things to cook) but I find them in Asian grocery stores.
- Bring milk to a boil in a double boiler over simmering water.
- Add salt and tapioca to milk.
- Stirring constantly, cook tapioca in double boiler for 1 hour or until tapioca is clear and milk is thickened.
- Beat egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until firm peaks, set aside.
- Beat yolks with remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Temper yolks with some of the hot custard.
- Stir tempered yolks into hot custard, cook over double boiler an additional 15 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Remove from heat and gently fold in egg whites.
- Pour tapioca into a serving bowl, cover and chill.