1/2 Photos of Laotian Chicken & Rice Soup
Montana Heart Song's Note:
My hubby used to eat this soup when he was there and it was a hit. Now I sometimes substitute or add fresh mushrooms. Either is great. Photos are of the soup with the chicken and mushrooms and then the second photo is the same soup with rice. Young children may find this too spicy. For those that cannot have milk, this fits the menu. I have used minced white onion and dried cilantro in place of spring onions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 green spring onions, sliced very thin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons peanuts, chopped fine (optional)
- 3 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 -2 cup diced cooked chicken
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1In large pot, add oil, garlic spring onions, fennel seeds, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and peanuts. Saute until a little brown and toasted.
- 2Add coconut milk and rice. Cover. cook 15 minutes on low.
- 3Note: You may add mushrooms instead of rice.
- 4in this step.
- 5Stir a few times during cooking.
- 6Add cooked chicken.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Laotian Chicken & Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 688.1
- Calories from Fat 496
- Total Fat 55.2 g
- Saturated Fat 42.5 g
- Cholesterol 26.2 mg
- Sodium 160.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 16.4 g
- Protein 17.4 g