2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
Adapted from The New Spanish Table. The original uses 4 pimientos choriceros, a dried Spanish pepper. I've used the recommended 3 anchos as a substitute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ancho chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock, boiling
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
- water, if needed
- 2 1/2 lbs lamb shoulder, boned, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- flour, for dusting lamb
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup canned tomato, chopped, undrained
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely minced
- 1Pour boiling stock over dried anchos.
- 2Soak until soft, about 30 minutes.
- 3Place peppers and liquid in blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- 6Add onions and cook until softened but not brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 7Stir in bell pepper strips and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- 8Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until onions and peppers are very soft, about 15 minutes longer. Add a tablespoon of water from time to time if skillet looks too dry.
- 9Remove and set aside.
- 10Season lamb with salt.
- 11Dust lamb with flour.
- 12Heat remaining oil in a heavy 5-quart pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown lamb in batches, about 5 minutes per batch. Remove and set aside.
- 13In the same pot, add the wine, remaining stock, tomatoes with their liquid, and reserved ancho puree.
- 14Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring and scraping.
- 15Add onion mixture, stir to mix, and return meat to pot.
- 16Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until lamb is tender, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. Stir often, as the stew tends to stick.
- 17Crush garlic and peppercorns into a paste.
- 18Add vinegar.
- 19Stir paste into stew.
- 20Cook until the flavors blend, 2-3 minutes.
- 21Garnish with minced parsley.
- 22Instead of cooking on the stovetop, you can braise this in a 325° oven, but you may have to add 1/2 cup more liquid.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb With Dried and Fresh Red Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1081.8
- Calories from Fat 726
- Total Fat 80.7 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 208.2 mg
- Sodium 426.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 54.2 g