Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Succulent in a warm spicy gravy with just a hint of orange, this is perfect served alone or with a green vegetable.
- 2 lbs boneless leg of lamb
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 3 3⁄4 cups lamb or 3 3⁄4 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 orange, juice and rind of, grated
- 1 lb potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs rutabagas, peeled and coarsely chopped
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Trim any fat from meat and cut into large cubes.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and dredge lamb in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and brown the lamb on all sides, adding a little more oil, if necessary.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened, stirring, frequently.
- Stir in the cinnamon sticks, bell pepper, ginger, and barley; cook over medium heat about 2 minutes.
- Add any remaining flour to the pan and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock and the Worcestershire, grated orange rind, and 3 tbsp of the orange juice; season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Return the meat to the pan along with the potatoes and the rutabaga; cover tightly and bake in the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until the meat and vegetables get tender.
- Check the seasoning before serving, and adjust if necessary.
Superb!! made it for the family and they loved it the orange the spice is perfect for a cold winters day just what we needed after a day of xmas shopping