Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This casserole recipe yields a very flavorful, satisfying lamb dish. Use a 6-quart casserole dish if you have one, as my 4.5-quart comes close to overflowing when I make this. The recipe is adapted from The One-Dish Cookbook by Robert Ackart (1975).
- 72 ounces lamb shanks
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large baking potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 carrots, scraped and cut into 3/4-inch rounds
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 16 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon (Minor's chicken base is good)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Place 6 lamb shanks in casserole dish. Place 6 slices of bacon atop the shanks.
- Prepare vegetables and place in casserole around lamb shanks.
- For the cooking liquid use 2 cups of water in which 2 teaspoons of beef or chicken bouillon have been dissolved.
- Cover casserole and cook for 2 hours at 325°F.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream over each shank.