Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a dry curry preparation with lamb cooked slowly in a special blend of spices.
- 2 lbs boneless lamb, cut into 1-in . cubes
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon szechwan pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 cup broth or 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped scallion
- In a blender, process chopped onions, tomatoes, cumin powder, chili, garlic, ginger, timur, turmeric, brown sugar and chopped cilantro into a smooth paste.
- Combine lamb cubes with the marinating paste and marinate for at least four hours.
- In a saucepan, heat three tablespoons of oil, add the marinated lamb pieces together with the marinade.
- Cook covered in low heat, frequently stirring, until the lamb is tender and all liquid has evaporated.
- The key is to ensure that the curry is cooked tender and completely dry at this stage.
- Reserve in a large plate.
- In a sauté pan, heat the remaining two tablespoons of oil.
- Add dried red chilies and cumin seeds; fry until dark.
- To the oil mixture, add chopped scallions and fry for a minute or so.
- To the oil mixture, add the curried lamb and brown well.
- Serve with rice pilaf or roti (flat bread).