Recipe by AcadiaTwo
This is another recipe my DD learned to make at ACCC culinary school. She loved this, but I have not tried it. It is a dish from Turkey called Laban Ummu.
Top Review by Stella Mae
This is totally delicious! I followed the recipe exactly, and served the dish with roasted potatoes and asparagus tips. It's so easy and elegant that I intend to keep it in my dinner party cookbook.
- 1 lb lamb shank (cut into cubes)
- 1 quart water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 lb white pearl onion (skins removed)
- 1 quart yogurt (plain)
- 1 tablespoon butter (clarified)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons mint
Directions See How It's Made
- Place lamb in Dutch oven and cover with water.
- Add salt and pearl onions.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and stew lamb for 1 hour or until lamb is fork tender.
- Remove liquid.
- Mix yogurt with lamb meat and warm through on low heat for 2-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a separate skillet use the clarified butter to saute garlic for 1 minute on low (don't let garlic burn), add salt & mint, and then add to yogurt pot mixing well.
- Serve warm with baked sweet potato. Enjoy.