Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is another recipe my DD learned to make at ACCC culinary school. She loved this, but I have not tried it. It is a dish from Turkey called Laban Ummu.
- Place lamb in Dutch oven and cover with water.
- Add salt and pearl onions.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and stew lamb for 1 hour or until lamb is fork tender.
- Remove liquid.
- Mix yogurt with lamb meat and warm through on low heat for 2-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a separate skillet use the clarified butter to saute garlic for 1 minute on low (don't let garlic burn), add salt & mint, and then add to yogurt pot mixing well.
- Serve warm with baked sweet potato. Enjoy.
This is totally delicious! I followed the recipe exactly, and served the dish with roasted potatoes and asparagus tips. It's so easy and elegant that I intend to keep it in my dinner party cookbook.
I think this is five stars but I over heated my Balkan yogurt so it separated. DH said he didn't like it, maybe the mint aspect. I also added some boiled potato chunks to the sauce when serving and some cooked peas while it was heating. I used lamb shoulder which I simmered somewhat longer, water and sea salt, to taste, vindalia onion (sweet onions), sweet butter (unsalted), since I wasn't planing to burn the garlic I didn't see a need to clarify the butter, plus the fresh mint. Made for Summer 2012 NA*ME TAG! (June, July, August)