Recipe by English_Rose
Golden pastry is filled with lamb cooked in port and salty Stilton adds an extra delicious dimension.
For the filling
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary, chopped
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 9 ounces lamb, diced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 ounce button mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup port wine
- 1⁄2 cup lamb stock
- 4 ounces Stilton cheese
- 1 pinch ground mace
For the pastry
- 7 ounces shortcrust pastry
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the filling, combine the flour, thyme and rosemary together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss with the lamb and shake of any excess.
- Melt the butter in large saucepan and fry the lamb for 5 minutes or so, until browned. Remove from the pan and set aide.
- Add the carrot and onion to the pan and cook gently for about 10 minutes, until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further minute.
- Return the lamb to the pan and add the port and lamb stock. Bring to boil and cook for 30 minutes, over a moderate heat.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F Fold in the cheese and mace.
- Roll half of the pastry out and line a 25cm pie plate; spoon the filling over. Roll the remaining pastry out to form a lid.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Serve hot, with vegetables as desired.