Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From : The Cooking of Scandinavia
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Peel the potatoes and grate them coarsely, preferably into tiny slivers, into a large mixing bowl. Do not drain off the potato water that will accumulate in the bowl.
- Working quickly to prevent the potatoes from turning brown, mix into them the chopped chives, salt and some pepper.
- Heat the butter and oil in a 10 – 12 inch skillet over a high heat until the foam subsides.
- The pan must be very hot, but not smoking.
- Using 2 tablespoons of potato mixture for each pancake, fry 2 or 4 at a time, flattening them out with a spatula to about 3 inches in diameter.
- Fry each batch of pancakes over a medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until they are crisp and golden.
- Serve at once.
This is a quick and simple way to make homemade hashbrowns. Excellent flavor, and the directions are spot on. Next time I'll melt some American cheese over top. Thanks Luschka, for another great recipe! :)