Recipe by MechanicalJen
Another recipe from a dear friend's mother - one HECK of a Jewish cook! Very different and distinct. Wonderful!!!
- 1 lb spinach
- 1 onion, choped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 5 cups water or 5 cups stock
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups yogurt, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons mint, dried
Directions See How It's Made
- Prep spinach ( de-stem and wash fresh, or thaw frozen). Squeeze out excess water from frozen or cut fresh in 1/2 inch ribbons.
- Fry onion in oil until soft. Add 1 clove of crushed garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach, liquid, scallions, rice, salt and pepper. Simmer 20 minutes (test to see rice is finished cooking).
- Mix yogurt with second garlic (optional) and add mint. Beat the mixture into the soup- do not let it boil or it'll curdle. Heat through very gently and cautiously.
- Persian Jews use dill instead of the mint.
- For Turkish touch garnish with dribble of 1 Tbsp mixed with 2 Tbsp sizzling hot butter.