Prep 6 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is a great vegetarian soup that all can enjoy. Be sure not to heat the soup once the avocado is added as the heat can spoil the taste somewhat.
- 1⁄2 cup pinto beans, presoaked
- 1⁄4 cup kidney bean, presoaked
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1 (1 lb) can diced tomato, blended in blender until smooth
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, sliced (bulbs and tops)
- 2 ounces corn chips
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup avocado, peeled and mashed
- vege-sal (if you don't have it use salt)
- Soak pinto and kidney beans in 4 cups water overnight or at least for 6 hours.
- You could use canned beans I should think, but I haven't so you will have to use accordingly.
- This recipe is with bulk beans.
- Bring to a boil the beans and 8 cups of water.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes.
- Add rice, onion, green pepper, chili powder and oregano, and bring to a second boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes or until the rice and beans are tender.
- Be sure to check the kidney beans at this step, because they tend to take longer.
- Add blended tomatoes, garlic, parsley, and butter, and simmer about 15 minutes or until the flavors are blended.
- Turn burner to lowest heat Add green onions and corn chips.
- In blender, blend together sour cream, chees, avocado and enough of the hot soup so that mixture can blend.
- Blend until smooth.
- Remove soup from heat, stir in blended mixture.
- Season to taste.
- Serve, topped with additional sliced green onions, if desired.