This recipe is from a website called "my Lunch can beat up your lunch". I posted this becuase i was looking for a Kushi Dango recipe that had good instructions. You can use cornstarch if you cannot find the katakuriko.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the dumplings
- 1 cup rice flour, Plus Extra if needed
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 6 inches bamboo skewers
For the sauce
- 1Put the cup of rice flour in a bowl and add warm water.
- 2Mix, then knead the dough well. If it's too wet, add more rice flour.
- 3The dough is done when it reaches an even, smooth texture. It won't become as stretchy as dough made with wheat flour.
- 4Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of flour if the dough is too soft, or some water (doesn't have to be boiling) if too crumbly. It should be soft yet firm enough to hold it's shape, like playdough.
- 5Shape the dough into round dumplings.
- 6Play around with the sizes. I made some as small as a nickel and some almost as big as a golf ball.
- 7Grease the inside of your steamer with cooking spray, then place the dumplings inside, Place the balls at least an inch and a half away from each other. This stuff expands and sticks together in a bad way if you're not careful.
- 8Steam them on high heat for 10 minutes.
- 9Then take them out and put them on a rice-floured cutting board to cool down.
- 10These things are sticky, so you don't want to leave out the cooking spray or the flour on the cutting board, trust me!
- 11When they're cooled, skewer them, three to four per stick.
- 12To make the sauce, mix the water, ,mirin, sugar, and soy sauce in a pan, dissolving all the sugar, then cover and heat it on medium heat.
- 13While that's warming up, mix the water and potato starch in a separate cup.
- 14When the sauce boils, add the starch-water and mix quickly. The stuff will thicken up fast!
- 15Slightly grill the skewered dumplings, then brush or spoon the sauce over them.
- 16The dumplings are soft and chewy when fresh.
- 17Refrigerating or freezing them will make them hard and not-very-pleasant-textured, but you can always microwave them for a half minute on medium power to restore them to their chewy, yummy state.
Nutritional Facts for Kushi Dango
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.5
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 527.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 25.2 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: