Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My BF and I loved this. It's an easy weekday meal. This is my own recipe, based on a type of pizza I saw on sale at the deli at the Whole Foods market down the street. I made this with some fresh oregano I had. I strongly recommend that you roast the asparagus first, and I like to throw in the artichoke hearts with them. I would also try this with some fresh tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes, but this was my first stab at this and I made it as written. Vegetables can be roasted/sauteed ahead of time, making this even quicker to assemble. Serves 2 as a vegetarian main meal, 4 as a side.
- 1 pizza crust (thin)
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus
- 1 (15 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced in half then sliced 1/4 inch
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 -2 teaspoon thyme, dried (or 1-2 tablespoons fresh thyme, oregano or basil or mix)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 Fahrenheit. Toss the asparagus and artichoke hearts together with 1 tablespoon olive oil or so, salt lightly and spread out on a cookie sheet topped with aluminum foil. Roast for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the onions together with the garlic for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Lightly brush the edges of the pizza crust with olive oil. When the asparagus and artichokes are roasted, reduce the oven heat to 400°F When slightly cooled, cut the asparagus spears into pieces. Put the pizza on the cookie sheet and top with fresh mozzarella cheese, then asparagus pieces. Sprinkle with your herb of choice. Arrange the artichoke hearts on top and sprinkle with fresh lemon juice. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place cookie sheet in oven for about 10 minutes, or per directions on pizza crust.