Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
We grew up eatting the potato dumplings (palt) which are from northern Sweden and use raw potato in the dough. But I prefer this dumpling, that is more common in the southern Sweden. These dumplings are heavy winter time comfort food. The filling is usually cooked meatballs. But any kind of cooked meat will work. ( I like pork best). Sometimes, if the dough is too dry, I add an additional egg yolk or whole egg. We always ate these with lots of melted butter and cranberry or lingon jam, and a cold glass of milk. Leftovers taste really good cut into pieces and fried up crispy for breakfast the next day. This recipe is from an old Swedish cookbook of my mother's...the title is missing!
- 907.18 g potatoes, about 6 medium
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 7.39 ml salt
- 340.19 g salt pork or 340.19 g bacon or 340.19 g ham, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 473.18-709.77 ml plain flour
- 1892.0 ml water
- 9.85 ml salt
- melted butter, to serve
- lingon jam, to serve
- Wash, peel and cut up potaotoes. Cook about 20 minutes in enough salted water to cover the potatoes. Potaotes are done when they can be pierced with a fork. Drain.
- Mash or rice potatoes well. Whip in the egg yolk and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside while you prepare filling.
- Put onions in a cold skillet and fry with a little oil or butter until soft. Remove from pan. Add meat to pan and cook until crisp and evenly browned. Add back in onions. Drain off excess fat.
- To make dough: Add the flour 1 cup at a time and mix well. Add as much of the flour to make a soft dough. Once dough has formed, turn out onto a floured surface and knead like bread dough. Pat out dough to 1/2 inch thickness. cut into 2 inch rounds, a biscuit cutter works well. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the filling into the centre of one of the rounds. Cover with another round. Seal edges well, and shape into a ball.
- Bring the 2 quarts of water and 2 tsps salt to t boil in a heavy saucepan. Once the water is boiling add dumplings one at a time, so that boiling does not stop. Cook only as many dumplings at one time that will float uncrowded, one layer deep. Cook 15 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon. Put in a warm dish and serve with melted butter and jam. A simple salad goes nice along side.
This recipe is almost straight out of the Swedish cookbook we refer to as 'the Bible of Swedish cooking'... purchased at the Swedish Inn in Rockford, Illinois, one of the family's hometown favorite eating places. When I married into the family, I knew I'd be inheriting the Swedish family cooking traditions to pass on to the kids... and this is one of my husband's favorite treats. The Lanquist family always called them 'Dirty Snowballs', and loved them whole for supper, sliced and fried in butter for breakfast... always with lingonberries. As a modern twist to this, I use bacon, rather than the salt pork. It gives a different texture to the meat, and is less salty/fatty... still wonderful. Our recipe has a dash of cinnamon/allspice in the meat along with the onion. I also boil in chicken broth rather than water for a little extra flavor. This can then be served as a soup if desired. Enjoy!
We had this in my house growing up all the time. we all love kruppkakors. My grandma would make these flat. and we'd slice them long ways an then fry them with butter. you can also put them in milk. I just made a double batch. if my dad were still around he would have already had five. While they were cooking he'd have his knife and fork in hand at the table and wait for them. They made him very happy. My grandmas receipe was a little different. They smell great right now.
If you are a Swed and have tried this before...It is wonderful. Brings back many memories of my childhood! It is a bit time consuming but certainly worth it. I made a double batch and froze some. As a child, our family would cut these up into small bit size pieces and cook them up in a frying pan with some cream until it starts to thinken. Add some sugar and sweeten to your desired taste....It is delicious! Skoal !!!