1/1 Photo of Kroppkakor - Swedish Potato Dumplings
We grew up eatting the potato dumplings (palt) which are from northern Sweden and use raw potato in the dough. But I prefer this dumpling, that is more common in the southern Sweden. These dumplings are heavy winter time comfort food. The filling is usually cooked meatballs. But any kind of cooked meat will work. ( I like pork best). Sometimes, if the dough is too dry, I add an additional egg yolk or whole egg. We always ate these with lots of melted butter and cranberry or lingon jam, and a cold glass of milk. Leftovers taste really good cut into pieces and fried up crispy for breakfast the next day. This recipe is from an old Swedish cookbook of my mother's...the title is missing!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash, peel and cut up potaotoes. Cook about 20 minutes in enough salted water to cover the potatoes. Potaotes are done when they can be pierced with a fork. Drain.
- 2Mash or rice potatoes well. Whip in the egg yolk and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside while you prepare filling.
- 3Put onions in a cold skillet and fry with a little oil or butter until soft. Remove from pan. Add meat to pan and cook until crisp and evenly browned. Add back in onions. Drain off excess fat.
- 4To make dough: Add the flour 1 cup at a time and mix well. Add as much of the flour to make a soft dough. Once dough has formed, turn out onto a floured surface and knead like bread dough. Pat out dough to 1/2 inch thickness. cut into 2 inch rounds, a biscuit cutter works well. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the filling into the centre of one of the rounds. Cover with another round. Seal edges well, and shape into a ball.
- 5Bring the 2 quarts of water and 2 tsps salt to t boil in a heavy saucepan. Once the water is boiling add dumplings one at a time, so that boiling does not stop. Cook only as many dumplings at one time that will float uncrowded, one layer deep. Cook 15 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon. Put in a warm dish and serve with melted butter and jam. A simple salad goes nice along side.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kroppkakor - Swedish Potato Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.9
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 1311.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 6.5 g