Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Delicious and healthy, this bread comes from the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Soften yeast in lukewarm water.
- Add milk, nuts, sugar, molsses, butter, salt and graham or whole wheat flour.
- Beat well and add enough white flour to knead until dough is smooth and no longer sticky.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down and shape into loaves; place in greased bread pans and let rise again until doubled in bulk.
- While dough is raising, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake loaves for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350F and continue baking for 40 minutes longer.
- Turn out onto cooling racks.