Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Based on a recipe by Burnt Lumpia: http://burntlumpia.typepad.com/burnt_lumpia/2008/02/ube-cupcakes.html#more I've modified it to be gluten free. Hooray!
- 1⁄4 cup powdered purple yams (can be found in Asian markets)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup sorghum flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄16 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until well combined. Add egg and mix until combined. Last, mix in oil, milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the yam powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and beat until integrated.
- Place paper baking cups into muffin pans and spoon batter into cups until 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Frost cupcakes with Macapuno Frosting.