Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Butter sesame cookie, great for dipping in coffee or tea.
- 1 cup softened sweet butter
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon or 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 beaten egg
- sesame seeds
- Cream butter and shortening until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Beat in eggs.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and spices; stir into the egg mixture alternately with the cream and vanilla.
- Shape dough with floured hands into desired shapes.
- Shape pieces of dough into thick pencil shapes.
- Brush with extra beaten egg.
- Roll onto the sesame seeds to coat lightly.
- Double over rolled dough and twist, or form into rings, figure eights or coils. I use about six-inch pieces.
- Place on cookie sheets and bake in a moderate 350-degree oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.