Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Fried rice,Korean style.It's important to use leftover rice-fresh warm rice is too sticky.This is the perfect use for brown rice as it is drier and has a nutty flavor that goes well in this recipe.Make sure your wok or pan is very hot and don't forget to stir!From Growing Up In A Korean Kitchen.
- 6 cups cooked short-grain rice (brown or white)
Chicken and Marinade
- 6 ounces raw chicken breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon korean rice wine
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, and minced
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
For the Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8 ounces medium firm tofu, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb napa cabbage, washed and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb soybean mixed sprouts
- 6 ounces oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, kimchee drained of liquid and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Mix all marinade ingredients together and toss with chicken.Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before cooking.You can start it the night before if you wish-the longer it marinates the more flavorful it will be.
- Wash,chop,and mince all ingredients,.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat.add tofu and cook for 5 minutes ,gently stirring when necessary ,until lightly browned,remove.
- Add walnuts,cabbage,sprouts and mushrooms and peppers,cook about 2 minutes and remove from pan.
- add 1 tablespoon of oil.Drain chicken and add to pan ,let it sear about 1 minute then add the chopped kimchee.Cook for about 2 more minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Add rice ,striring to break up any lumps.Add in all of the reserved vegetables and tofu,plus the sesame oil and cook,stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- remove to a serving platter and garnish.