Recipe by myhaiku
This is the rice my mom would make with leftovers. You can have any type of meat and vegetables you want inside but the special touch is the egg that is draped over the rice and specially seasoned. The measurements are all approximate. Back in the day we would use reserved bacon fat instead of or along with the sesame seed oil because it would add a lot of flavor but this option of course is not very healthy.
- 946.36 ml white rice, prepared and cooked
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 29.58-44.37 ml soy sauce (if dark use only 2)
- 3 stalk green onions, trim roots & mince (reserve about 1/2 tsp for egg topping)
Add any of the following to your liking (the recipe assumes all leftovers and vegetables are cooked)
- 118.29 ml bean sprouts
- 10 mushrooms, chopped
Any type of leftover cooked meat cut small such as
- cooked beef or cooked pork or cooked chicken
Any type of leftover cooked Vegetable cut small such as
- zucchini or potatoes, pieces or peas
- cabbage kimchi, if you like too
For Egg Topping
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml toasted sesame seeds
- 4.92 ml sesame seed oil
- 2.46 ml green onion, you reserved
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- bits of roasted kombu seaweed (or any type of laver)
- red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- In pan, add oil, vegetables, meat, rice and any other additional leftover ingredients you choose. Cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium-high heat stirring and covered the last 3 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add soy sauce at the end to preserve taste and benefits of soy sauce and remove from heat. Mound it on a plate and place to the side.
- Egg Topping:.
- Place vegetable oil in a small frying pan and spread around well so that it covers the entire pan.
- On low heat slowly put beaten eggs in pan. Cook like you would an omelet without folding (nice and happy, flat eggy) Make sure it is thoroughly cooked.
- When egg is cooked flip the egg onto the fried rice and drizzle on the sesame oil. Sesame oil has more healthy benefits when it's not cooked.
- Add the following the sesame seeds, green onions plus if you choose, crumbled roasted seaweed, pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and eat up while hot!
- My dad and brother would of course cover this all with ketchup if it didn't have the kimchee while my mom would use her hot pepper paste. I just liked mine plain.
- You can use the egg topping method for the entire plate of rice or make individual egg toppings for each person.