Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A burgerized version of a Korean classic. From the Great Big Burger Book.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 3⁄4 cup grated onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry, plus
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 hamburger buns
- slivered scallion
- In a mixing bowl, gently mix the beef, ½ cup of the onion, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, the pepper, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon sherry, and half of the garlic.
- Form mixture into 4 patties, each ¾ inch thick.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining onion, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoon soy sauce, ½ teaspoon sesame oil, 2 teaspoons sherry, and garlic; set aside for topping.
- Lightly oil the grill or a skillet over med-high heat.
- Cook the burgers to the desired degree of doneness, 3-5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Serve burgers on toasted and buttered hamburger buns; top with the onion-soy sauce mixture and slivered scallions.
Really enjoyed the burgers, tho we didn't use buns. Also did not have any sherry. Very good. Thanks for the recipe.