Prep 2 hrs 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Prep time includes refrigeration time.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 0.5 (3 ounce) packagedry unsweetened Kool-Aid powdered drink mix (any flavor)
- 0.5 (3 ounce) packagedry unsweetened Kool-Aid powdered drink mix, of a different flavor
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg yolks and beat well.
- Sift all dry ingredients together and add them, along with the milk, to the creamed mixture.
- After dough is mixed, divide in half.
- Roll out on wax paper, sprinkle with Kool Aid (one flavor on one half, one on the other.) Put half the dough on top of the other half.
- Roll up in a roll and refrigerate at least two hours, or freeze and slice when needed.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
These cookies are absolutely beautiful and would be wonderful for a bake sale. A plain cookie with bursts of color and flavor from the koolaid swirls. I used butter instead of shortening and blue raspberry lemonade (blue) and strawberry (red) flavors of Koolaid. The chill time is important to let the koolaid powder absorb some moisture so you can really see the colors. Great to make ahead and slice and bake when needed. The only change I would make would be to add a couple of tablespoons of sugar with the koolaid. The swirl was a bit bitter. These are fun cookies, I'll definitely make them again. Thanks for the recipe!