Recipe by littleturtle
Polish Christmas cookies from the Chicago Tribune.
Top Review by navywife2
I have been making these cookies since I was very little. Instead of folding them you could just cut them with a small glass(round shape) then add spoonful of fruit perserves. When they come out of the oven top with powdered sugar.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb butter, room temperature
- 3 cups flour
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- cream cheese filling: Mix together 4 ounces (1/2 package) cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cookies: Beat together butter and the rest of the cream cheese on medium high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour, one cup at a time, until well combined.
- Divide dough into thirds, wrap each third in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least four hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove one packet of dough from the refrigerator.
- Roll to 1/8 inch thickness on a floured work surface.
- Cut into 1 1/2" squares with a pizza cutter or knife.
- Fill each with about 1/2 teaspoon of cheese filling, fold two opposite sides of the dough together over filling to meet in the middle.
- Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake until golden (10-12 minutes).
- Transfer to folded paper towels or flattened brown paper bags to absorb any excess grease.
- Cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining refrigerated dough in two more batches.
- Sprinkle with confectionrs sugar before serving.