3 hrs 35 mins
Mary Scheffert's Note:
Pronounced "KO-la-chay" - this is a traditional Czechoslovakian recipe that my grandmother always made. She made them so often that she knew this recipe by heart. My favorite filling was poppyseed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- fresh lemon rind (for flavoring) or vanilla (for flavoring) or mace (for flavoring)
- 1 package dry yeast, proofed
- solo brand filling, any flavor
- vanilla sugar
- 1Bring milk to a boil.
- 2Add butter, sugar& salt; mix& let cool for 5 minutes.
- 3Stir eggs, proofed yeast& flavoring of choice into the milk mixture.
- 4Place milk mixture into bowl of mixer, fitted with paddle attachment.
- 5Sift in enough flour to make a thick batter.
- 6Change mixer attachment to a dough hook.
- 7Continue adding flour, until mixture forms a soft dough.
- 8Turn dough out onto floured surface, and knead into a smooth dough that does not stick.
- 9Place dough into a greased bowl, cover& let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- 10Punch dough down.
- 11Cut dough into even, egg-sized pieces.
- 12Work each piece of dough into a 3inch circle in palm of hand with fingers of other hand.
- 13Place about 1/2tsp of filling in the middle; draw up sides of dough around filling& pinch FIRMLY to seal.
- 14Place each kolace on a well-greased cookie sheet, approx 2 inches apart.
- 15Cover& let rise again in a warm place.
- 16While kolace are rising, mix together the ingredients for the crumb topping.
- 17Once risen, brush with beaten egg mixed with 1T milk.
- 18Preheat oven to 400.
- 19Sprinkle kolace with crumb mixture.
- 20Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 21Remove kolace from pan& cool completely on a wire rack.
- 22When cool, dust liberally with vanilla sugar.
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kolace
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.5
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.0 mg
- Sodium 93.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 1.6 g