Recipe by hoda
believe it or not, this is the ONLY way how we eat kohlrabi in iraq ! my family really likes this recipe so every year in kohlrabi season i do the recipe at least once.the recipe calls for cubed lamb meat but you can use ground beef meat instead, although i prefer the 1st choice beause it is so much tastier with lamb meat(small cubes not ground), and since there are no fixed measurements in iraqi cooking i will give you approximate measures to this recipe
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons corn oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups peeled cubed kohlrabi (small cubes)
- 1 cup cubed lamb (small cubes)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gorund black pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon ground dried limes (sour in taste, black in color)
Directions See How It's Made
- heat the oil in medium pot, fry the onion in the hot oil till tender, add meat cubes and cook on high heat until the meat changes its color, add the kohlrabi cubes and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- add water to the pot until it is 1/2 inch over the mixture and let it boil till the meat and kohlrabi is tender, add spices and salt and the ground lime to your preference.
- let the mixture on heat until all the liquids are almost gone(we need a little moisture to incorporate the mixture with the cooked rice).
- remove the pot from fire and add the rice gradually to the meat and kohlrabi mixture and mix them together until they are well incorporated.
- serve hot, enjoy.