Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Posting for ZWT6 - Germany - Benelux Dutch came here from Holland in 1624 with this slaw recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 3 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- Combine the first six ingredients in saucepan and heat to boiling .
- Add some hot mixture to egg and add back into mixture.
- Cook until it thickens. Take from heat and beat in cream.
- Pour (while hot) over finely chopped cabbage.
- Chill and serve.
I've never made a coleslaw with a cooked dressing before. I must say, this wasn't really any more difficult than the ordinary mayonnaise/vinegar coleslaws. It turned out creamy and tangy in flavor. I only used half the amount of salt listed and that was plenty. I think the amount listed would be way too salty. Thanx for posting this!
A really nice and tasty Cole Slaw recipe. I folllowed the recipe exactly apart from slightly reducing the salt. Was just as tasty for lunch the following day as it was freshly made. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap Feb 2011