The perfect thing if you'd like to know exactly what's in your sausages. These won't be the same color as the purchased variety due to no nitrates. Casings can be ordered from your local butcher. To stuff the casings, you will need a meat grinder with a sausage horn attachment.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean beef
- 2 lbs lean pork
- 1 lb bacon (the fatty ends)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- pork sausage casing (11/2-inch casings make knockwurst, 3/4-inch casings make wieners.)
- 1To prepare casings: Let casings soak in cool water about five minutes to remove salt on outer surface (no longer, or they will become too tender to stuff) and flush salt from the inside by placing one end on faucet nozzle and turn on cold tap water (if you see holes or water leaking, cut and discard that section).
- 2Remove casing from faucet and gently squeeze out water; cover rinsed casings and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 3Combine meats and grind coarsely.
- 4Add remaining ingredients, thoroughly knead by hand, and grind again.
- 5Bunch or tightly pleat prepared casings onto sausage horn; tie a knot in the end.
- 6Stuff ground meat into casings and twist into 6" lengths.
- 7Place in a heavy kettle with water to cover.
- 8Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- 9Drain and rinse in cold water.
- 10Refrigerate until ready to use (no longer than three or four days) or freeze.
- 11They must be cooked again before being eaten.
- 12Pierce sausages with a fork first to allow grease to run out, then they are ready to grill, boil, or fry.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Knockwurst or Weiners
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.5
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 68.9 mg
- Sodium 1113.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 21.8 g