I had an awful craving hit me for one of these wonderful K-mart Sub's and HAD to have one! I searched high and low and finally found a woman on a message board that used to work the deli counter in the late 80's at a K-mart in Dayton, Ohio. This was one of the same stores that my Mom would take me as a kid to get one of these wonderful sub's and a frozen Coke! I used to stand in front of the counter and watch them make these sub's and remembered all but one of the ingredients. Make sure that you wrap your sub's and allow them to sit for 30 minutes before serving or they are not the same. This allows the bread, meat and veggies to show some love to one another.
- 4 submarine rolls, White Soft Split Sarah Lee
- 8 slices salami, with the embedded peppercorns
- 4 slices oscar mayer bologna
- 4 slices oscar mayer honey-roasted ham
- 4 slices kraft American cheese
- 1⁄4 onion, sliced sliver thin
- 1⁄2 ounce lettuce, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 ounce banana pepper, yellow sweet mild banana pepper rings
- 1 dill pickle, whole sliced sliver thin
- 1 ounce french's yellow mustard
- Slice all of your veg; dill pickle, tomato, lettuce and onion. Layout your meats in a stack and slice them half. Slice your cheese in half.
- Open the rolls without breaking the hinge of the bread. Squirt on the mustard in a V shape pattern across both the top and bottom bun.
- TOP BUN: Place 4-6 pickle slivers on the top bun.
- BOTTOM BUN: 4 salami halves. 2 bologna halves. 2 cheese slices. 2 ham halves. 4 tomato slices. Shredded lettuce. 4-8 pepper rings.
- Carefully close the sandwich and wrap it in foil or plastic wrap and allow to sit either at room temperature or in the refrigerator, for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap and serve!
- NOTE: K-Mart used Honey Loaf Ham. I cannot locate it on the West coast, but Mom says she still buys it in the deli back in Ohio. If you can find it, use it! The stuff is addicting.