Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Swedish Christmas pastry.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- rind from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon vodka or 1 tablespoon cognac
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- oil (for frying)
- sugar and cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Cream the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients to form an elastic dough.
- Wrap in tin foil and let it rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface.
- Take a knife and cut strips about 1 inch wide and 4 inches long.
- For the special klenat appearance, you cut a hole in the middle of every strip, take one end of the strip and put it through the hole in the middle and pull straight through the hole.
- It makes sort of a knot in the middle of the pastry.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Try it for the right temperature by dropping a piece of bread in the oil, if it turns golden in 1 minute, the oil is the right temperature.
- Put some of the klenates in at a time and cook them until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen towel.
- Turn them over in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.