Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was recently digging through some recipes that my parent's Japanese maid used while my father (US Navy) was stationed in Yokosuka, Japan during the late '60's and found this really easy salad.
- 3 cups very thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Partly peel cucumbers leaving strips of green, and slice very thin.
- Add salt to cucumbers and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Press excess liquid from cucumbers and add to sauce. Mix well.
- Add cucumbers to sauce.
- Chill and serve as a relish or salad.
This is by far my favorite cucumber salad! I use a mandolin set at 1/8 " slice for the cucumber. I recommend using only fresh ground ginger, it is the best!
Many, many years ago a dear friend gave me this recipe. In her recipe she used clams drained, rinsed and added at the end and placed in the refrigerated for at least two hours. My family enjoyed every mouthful.
Very refreshing salad for a snack. I have made it with both fresh and powered ginger, fresh ginger is the best way to go on this!! My 3y/o DD loves this salad and it is easy enough for her to help me!!