1/5 Photos of Kittencal's Pizza Sauce
This is a full-flavored rich pizza sauce that I have been making for over 20 years, the longer you simmer this sauce the thicker and richer it will be --- this sauce freezes very well and even tastes better if made a day ahead and left in the fridge overnight to blend flavors --- also see my Kittencal's No-Cook Pizza Sauce or Marinara Dipping Sauce
My Private Note
cups (a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil or 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 -4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or use 1 teaspoon garlic powder or to taste)
- 3 -4 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning (or to taste, I use 1 tablespoon)
- 2 -4 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (can use tomato sauce in place of crushed tomatoes or use a combination of both if desired)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- black pepper (to taste) (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (add in only if needed at the end of cooking) (optional)
- 1In a saucepan, heat the olive oil; saute the onions, Italian seasoning and oregano for about 2-3 minutes, stirring until soft but not brown.
- 2Add in garlic and saute for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 3Add in the tomato paste; stir and cook 1 minute.
- 4Add in the remaining ingredients; cook and simmer on low heat for 1/2 to 3/4 hours, stirring occasionally, adding more salt if needed (the longer you cook this sauce the thicker and richer it will be!).
- 5Cool slightly and use immediately or refrigerate up to 5 days or you may freeze.
- 6*NOTE* freeze in plastic containers after cooled, I find that this sauce tastes even better if left in the fridge overnight to blend the flavors before using or freezing.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Pizza Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1033 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.2
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 974.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning