Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a full-flavored rich pizza sauce that I have been making for over 20 years, the longer you simmer this sauce the thicker and richer it will be --- this sauce freezes very well and even tastes better if made a day ahead and left in the fridge overnight to blend flavors --- also see my Kittencal's No-Cook Pizza Sauce or Marinara Dipping Sauce
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil or 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 -4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or use 1 teaspoon garlic powder or to taste)
- 3 -4 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning (or to taste, I use 1 tablespoon)
- 2 -4 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (can use tomato sauce in place of crushed tomatoes or use a combination of both if desired)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- black pepper (to taste) (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (add in only if needed at the end of cooking) (optional)
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil; saute the onions, Italian seasoning and oregano for about 2-3 minutes, stirring until soft but not brown.
- Add in garlic and saute for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in the tomato paste; stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add in the remaining ingredients; cook and simmer on low heat for 1/2 to 3/4 hours, stirring occasionally, adding more salt if needed (the longer you cook this sauce the thicker and richer it will be!).
- Cool slightly and use immediately or refrigerate up to 5 days or you may freeze.
- *NOTE* freeze in plastic containers after cooled, I find that this sauce tastes even better if left in the fridge overnight to blend the flavors before using or freezing.
Oh Kittencal, how thankful I (and my family) am for you!! I tried this recipe since your recipes are usually fabulous and it was even better than that!!! I was so glad my crust was so thick so I could dip it in the sauce that was left over. My mother and FIL kept saying how delicious it was and asked if I could put it over spaghetti sometime! I have passed this on to several friends. I didn't change a thing, and why would I?!? THANK YOU again!!
Yum! I will NEVER use the canned/jarred stuff again! This stuff makes my pizza taste restaurant quality. Hubby ate a few pieces and then told me, "Ohhh ,this is the best." For him, that's quite a compliment! I added about 4 teaspoons of sugar and a teaspoon of salt at the end, it was great. Thanks!!!
I was really hoping for something more with this sauce. It was not what my taste buds were looking for. It was worth a try though since it had so many high reviews; however, I won't be making it again.