Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a light, buttery flakey shortbread that is quite similar to the expensive brands that are sold in the stores, the success of this shortbread or any shortbread recipe will depend on the quality of butter that you use so purchase the best quality butter you can find, and use only salted butter, if you are using unsalted add in a pinch of salt, the almond extract is only optional -- the amount of sugar will give give a medium sweetness, if you prefer a sweeter shortbread then increase by 2-4 tablespoons, for brown sugar shortbread use brown sugar in place of white, I advise to make this a few days ahead to allow the flavors ripen --- servings is only estimated.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup salted butter, softened
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Set oven to 300 degrees F (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Lightly butter an 8 x 8-inch baking dish or a 9-inch pie plate.
- Using clean hands blend together all ingredients until well combined (batter will be stiff).
- Press into prepared baking dish.
- Prick holes all over the batter.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden on the edges.
- While the shortbread is still warm slice into squares or wedges if using a pie plate.
I bake A LOT and I was floored by this. I made it with high quality organic cultured butter, and that made all the difference. I will make this again and again, I wish I could just give it a better review. Thank you Kittencal for reminding me how amazing shortbread can be with the right ingredients.
Thanks for the recipe. Everyone loved this shortbread. The almond extract gave it a much richer flavor.
DH gave it a 3.5. Me give it 5. In fact, it does not taste that good the first day. I refrigiratored it for 7 days, and it turns out wonderful!