A great lower fat alternative to fried fish, use you choice of fish for this --- all spice amounts may be adjust to taste, depending on the size of your fish fillets you may have some breading left over just refrigerate to use for another time.
- 2 lbs fish fillets (use your choice of fish)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (rubbed between fingers to release the flavors)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (garlic lovers use more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (can use more or use white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to lowest position.
- Coat/spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl whisk egg whites with water.
- In a bowl combine the breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese and next 7 dry spices (you may omit the cayenne).
- Dip the fish firstly into the egg whites allowing any excess to drip off.
- Place a small amount of the crumb mixture onto a plate then coat in the breadcrumb mixture pressing down with hands to firmly pack the coating onto the fish adding more crumbs onto the plate as needed to coat each fillet (do not use the whole amount of crumbs on the plate at one time or they may get soggy).
- Place the breaded fish onto baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated 500 degree F oven for about 10 minutes or until the fish flakes with a fork (baking time will vary depending on the thickness of the fillets do not over cook the fillets).