1/9 Photos of Kittencal's Hamburger/Burger Buns
2 hrs 22 mins
These are the best homemade buns for burgers they bake out soft and light and the dough is a pleasure to work with, they also make wonderful sandwich buns too, this will yield between 12-14 buns depending on how big you make them, I sometimes add in 1/2 teaspoon malt powder but it is not necessary --- Canadian residents can use all-purpose flour, U.S. residents use bread flour
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk
- 4 tablespoons sugar (for a less sweeter bun reduce to 3 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup melted Crisco shortening (I use butter flavor)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose white flour (U.S. residents use bread flour, you may need more four start with 3-1/2 cups and add in more while m)
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1Proof the yeast in 1 cup warm water with 1 teaspoon sugar; let sit for 10 minutes until foamy.
- 2In a heavy duty stand mixer, fitted with a kneader hook, add in the 3-1/2 cups flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, melted Crisco, warm milk and salt (and the malt powder if using).
- 3Add in the proofed yeast; mix to create a soft semi-sticky dough that holds around the blade, adding in more flour as needed (do not add in too much as it will create a heavy bun, dough should be semi-sticky.
- 4Knead dough for 7-8 minutes.
- 5Remove dough, and let rest on the counter, covered with a clean dish towel for 10 minutes (this is an important step!).
- 6Knead the dough gently for 30 seconds with hands.
- 7Place dough in a large well-greased/oiled bowl.
- 8Cover, and let rise in a warm spot for 60-90 minutes, or until double in size (I like to rise my dough in the oven, just set oven to 200 degrees and warm for 3 minutes, then turn off the heat while you are making the dough, this will create a perfect temperature to raise dough in, and usually takes only 1 hour to rise with oven method).
- 9Punch down dough.
- 10Shape into large balls, and place on a large greased cookie sheet (you should get 12 balls on the sheet).
- 11Cover with a light clean tea towel, and let rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes, or until almost doubled (warm oven rise should take 30 minutes.
- 12Set oven to 375 degrees.
- 13In a small bowl, mix together 1 egg white with 1 tsp water; whisk/mix well.
- 14Carefully brush the tops and sides of the buns with the egg/water mixture.
- 15Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 16Bake for approx.22 minutes, or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Hamburger/Burger Buns
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.3
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.5 mg
- Sodium 303.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 5.0 g