Sourdough Burger Buns
Fantastic sourdough buns for sandwiches! I posted this recipe in the forums and Akillian made them and posted her picture. Don't they look awesome?
- Ready In:
- 2 cups sourdough starter, proofed and active
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk, lukewarm
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (up to half of flour could be whole wheat)
- Stir together all ingredients except flour.
- Add flour, mixing until it comes together enough to be turned out and kneaded.
- Knead until dough is smooth and satiny (this can be done on a mixer or bread machine, if preferred).
- At this point dough may be refrigerated up to 24 hours for a more flavorful bread. Bring dough back to room temperature before contiuing with shaping.
- Let dough rest for 15 or 20 minutes and then roll it out to 1/2" thick.
- Cut with a 4" round cutter.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Rye? I exclusively use a rye starter, and that seems to be an issue with a lot of sourdough recipes. I'm not sure how to adjust the water in most recipes, or the flour in this one as rye does not have the same amount of gluten and therefore doesn't interact with water like an all purpose flour does. More or less flour? How much? Will these buns actually be light or will they be too heavy again? Rye breads tend to rise less, be chewy and denser. Will it work? How much of a difference will I see because of the rye vs all purpose?Replies 1
see 17 more