Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This goes back years and has remained a family favorite --- you may adjust the amounts to suit your taste and the recipe may be doubled :)
Top Review by GetU4ThatCoconut
I had never had couscous before so I didn't know what to expect... WOW was this DELICIOUS! I could not stop myself from eating it, and my husband (who has had couscous many times before) said it was the best he'd ever tried. The only thing I changed was I left out the cucumber because I don't like it. This one is definitely a keeper for us!
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (I use a garlic flavored broth for this) or 1 1⁄2 cups water (I use a garlic flavored broth for this)
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 cup diced peeled cucumber
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup small ripe olives, halved
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, well drained (garbonzo beans)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the 1-1/2 cups chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in the couscous and oregano, remove from heat; cover, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Combine the couscous with tomatoes and the next 5 ingredients (tomatoes through chickpeas) in a bowl; set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup water with the remaining ingredients; stir well with a whisk.
- Pour over the couscous mixture, tossing gently to coat.
- Season with black pepper and salt.