1/1 Photo of Kiss the Cook Good Risotto Primavera
Taken from a gourmet grocery store recipe and tweeked a bit, this is jump up and kiss the cook good! The keys to good risotto are 1) making sure that the broth is very hot before it is added to the rice, 2) using a large, heavy pot, and 3) stirring the rice almost constantly. The vegetables used here are really colorful and healthy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or low sodium chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 -4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 12 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces, blanched
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup summer squash, finely chopped (or 1 cup sweet corn or 1 cup finely chopped carrots)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup gouda cheese, grated (or Swiss, or cheese of choice)
- 1Heat the broth in a pot with a lid over high heat.
- 2Meanwhile, heat a heavy 4-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. When hot, add the onions and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Pour in the rice and stir to coat the grains with the oil and onion mixture; cook 3-5 minute longer.
- 3Add the wine and stir until it is almost completely absorbed by the rice. The broth should be boiling by now, so gradually add the hot broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring in a figure eight motion after each addition. Keep the broth pot covered, so the broth doesn't evaporate. Wait until the broth is almost completely absorbed by the rice before adding the next 1/2 cup.
- 4After about 15 minutes, stir in the asparagus, tomatoes, and squash(or corn or carrots). Continue to add broth for about 5-10 more minutes, or until the rice is tender but firm and the vegetables are cooked.
- 5When the rice is the desired texture, remove from heat and stir in the peas, 1/4 cup broth (if any is remaining), salt and pepper to taste, basil, and parsley. Mix in cheeses and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kiss the Cook Good Risotto Primavera
Serving Size: 1 (1164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.9
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 84.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: