Recipe by Kirste
This is from the Sons of Norway website and is a favorite of mine. Authentic Norwegian Cooking by Astrid Karlsen Scott
- 2 cups almonds or 2 cups other nuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 8 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons chocolate syrup or 3 1⁄2 tablespoons syrup
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons cherry juice
Directions See How It's Made
- The Cake:Grind almonds twice, the second time with the confectioners' sugar.
- The almonds should have the consistency of flour.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry, and blend with the nuts.
- Divide and spread batter in two greased 9-inch (23 cm) springform pans, and bake at 320 degrees F (160 degrees C) 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly in pan before removing to rack to cool completely.
- Makes two 9-inch layers.
- Cherry Cream:Beat the cream until firm and glossy.
- Add eggs and confectioners' sugar which have been whipped together until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the chocolate sauce or syrup, and add cherry juice to taste.
- Place one cake layer on platter, baked side down, and cover with half of the cream mixture.
- Add second layer, baked side up, and top with remaining cream.
- Keep refrigerated until serving time.