Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
Got this in an email from King Arthur Flour and plan to make them for my Holiday tray. Described as tender, deep-chocolate cookies with a rich, sweet vanilla glaze. Bite-sized beauties perfect for a holiday cookie tray or hostess gift. Top with a chocolate pearl, bright red cherry, or chocolate sprinkles and each cookie is a jewel to the eyes and a gem for the tastebuds." Sounds good doesn't it!
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup dutch process cocoa
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place all cookie dough ingredients in bowl of your mixer.
- Beat on medium speed until a soft, smooth dough is formed.
- Remove from bowl, shape into a 3/4" thick disc.
- Wrap well in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes, or as long as overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350, line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape dough into small balls, about the size of a large gumball (a teaspoon cookie scoop will help).
- Bake for 7-10 minutes.
- Watch cookies carefully to avoid scorching bottoms.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool slightly on pans while you prepare glaze.
- For glaze, blend the sifted confectioners sugar with heavy cream and vanilla.
- Glaze will be thick, almost icing consistency.
- Using a teaspoon, portion glaze over barely warm cookies.
- You can pipe the glaze from a piping bag or zip-top bag with a corner cut off as well.
- Top with chocolate pearls, slivers of maraschino cherry, or chocolate sprinkles. Store any leftovers at room temperature for up to a week.
These taste like brownies, but look like cookies! They have a very rich, chocolate flavor, without being overly sweet. I made them a little larger that called for in the directions, and got 16 cookies from one batch of dough (well, actually 17, but one was sacrificed for quality assurance purposes :) ) I love that these are so easy to make! Made for ZWT7- Emerald City Shakers
I added walnuts and we loved these little gems! My kids can't wait to have them again!