Recipe by country girl kim
An upscale version of an old favourite - with white wine, coffee and cocoa adding a more complex flavour. I like mine with lots of taste but not much heat... add more cayenne or chili powder to taste.
Top Review by PaulaG
I agre this has lots of flavor without a lot of heat. Not having 1/2 cup of coffee, I substituted espresso coffee granuals (2 tsp) and some additional water. The combination of ingredients along with the simmering time, helps to create a rich, smooth chili. It was served with some freshly baked cornbread and garnished with grated cheddar cheese and green onions. Made for *Comfort Cafe*
- 453.59 g extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 354.88 ml beef broth
- 59.14 ml white wine
- 118.29 ml strong black coffee
- 59.14 ml catsup
- 2 (1587.57 g) can tomatoes (peeled or diced)
- 2 (1077.28 g) can kidney beans
- 22.18 ml maple syrup
- 4.92 ml salt
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 0.25 ml cayenne powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onions, garlic and ground beef in a large saucepan until meat is well browned and onions are tender.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes with coffee, wine and broth. Season with maple syrup, salt, chilli powder, cumin, cocoa, oregano and cayenne. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 ½ hours.