Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
An upscale version of an old favourite - with white wine, coffee and cocoa adding a more complex flavour. I like mine with lots of taste but not much heat... add more cayenne or chili powder to taste.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup strong black coffee
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes (peeled or diced)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 dash cayenne powder
- Cook onions, garlic and ground beef in a large saucepan until meat is well browned and onions are tender.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes with coffee, wine and broth. Season with maple syrup, salt, chilli powder, cumin, cocoa, oregano and cayenne. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
I agre this has lots of flavor without a lot of heat. Not having 1/2 cup of coffee, I substituted espresso coffee granuals (2 tsp) and some additional water. The combination of ingredients along with the simmering time, helps to create a rich, smooth chili. It was served with some freshly baked cornbread and garnished with grated cheddar cheese and green onions. Made for *Comfort Cafe*