Recipe by chia
from todays NY times, perfect for yom kippur break fast.
Top Review by Elmotoo
Breakfast? Brunch? Dessert? Well, it was dinner tonight! This is a treat. I *did* double the pineapple. It would have tolerated more, too. Fabulously delicious. 15yo dd requested kugel & thank you, Chia, for having a recipe available!
- 1⁄2 lb medium-width noodles
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, plus
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 4 ounces walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and place in a 4-quart bowl.
- Put cream cheese and ½ pound butter in food processor; blend until smooth, scraping down sides. Add 1 cup sugar and process until well combined. Add sour cream, vanilla and eggs, and process until well mixed. Fold into bowl of noodles. Stir in pineapple.
- Grease a 13-by-9-inch Pyrex dish with about 1 tablespoon butter and pour in the mixture; it will almost overflow. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator about 1 hour before baking. Preheat oven to 350 and bake mixture for 50 minutes.
- Combine walnuts with remaining 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle on top of kugel. Dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and bake another 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into 25 pieces.