- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 medium celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (1 teaspoon dried)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, boil the broth.
- Stir in the barley.
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the fresh sage (if using dry sage add)
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in fresh sage, simmer for 5 minutes.