Recipe by HeatherFeather
This delicious twist on the chicken & broccoli crescent ring was a contest winner submitted on one of Emeril's Cooking with Kids specials. A little boy named Noah came up with this version, which I tried immediately and loved. I added jalapenos and more garlic to mine. I use leftover rotisserie chicken, skinned and boned or freshly poached chicken breast meat in this. Also NOTE: The original version called for only 1 can of crecsent rolls and made 1 wreath. However, I found there was a lot of filling, enough for 2 wreaths. I made 1 wreath and saved the extra filling to bake as a separate casserole (bake for the same amount of time and serve with crusty rolls on the side).
Top Review by Manda3183
I tried out this recipe last night, it was amazing! I did make a few modifications though. I used 2 packages of crescent rolls instead of one; there is definitely too much filling for one pack. I did not attempt to shape them into a wreath, I just laid them out on a baking sheet. I also added canned black beans (drained) and corn in place of broccoli to give it more of a southwestern flair. I couldn't find the Southwest Seasoning from the recipe at my grocery store, so I used Tastefully Simple Fiesta Party Dip Mix instead. (Its just a blend of seasonings that you mix with sour cream to make a dip. I use it a lot as a spice.) I did not use the eggwash, and sprinkled a little bit of extra cheese on top.
It was absolutely delicious. I think the only thing I might do differently in the future is to cook it in a casserole dish instead of on a baking sheet. As it cooked the filling spilled out a little and the ones closer to the edges of the baking sheet spilled over onto the oven rack.
My husband loved this. He recommends a side of ranch dressing for dipping or drizzling over. Great Recipe!!!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli floret, chopped (lightly steamed-still very crisp, but slightly fork tender)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, seeded, minced (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons emeril's southwest seasoning
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crescent roll dough (these can be skipped if not making into wreaths)
Egg wash (only if making into a wreath)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients, except the crescent rolls and egg wash.
- IF MAKING INTO A WREATH: Divide crescent rolls into 8 equal triangles.
- Arrange triangles on lightly greased round baking sheet (or pizza stone)in a circle with the skinny pointed ends facing out (like a sun).
- Spoon chicken mixture around the ring, mainly on the wider parts of the dough, leaving the points exposed.Fold the pointed ends over the chicken mixture, pressing the points down to seal (so it now looks like a wreath).
- Brush with egg wash then proceed with the baking instructions.
- IF MAKING AS CASSEROLE:.
- Sprread filling into a lightly greased casserole dish, cover with foil.
- TO BAKE EITHER TYPE: Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown, removing foil from casserole in the last 5 minutes.